Delayed periods, pregnancy test negative. GTT, sugar and thyroid test normal. What is the reason?

From last 1 month, I am not having my periods , I also had my pregnancy test which stated negative Pregnancy as well consulted Doctor also she suggested me GTT Test, sugar , Fasting and thyroid as well asked to have Meprate for 5 days twice the day and today is the 5th day after completion of my medicines , but still i did nt have my periods . I also had all my tests and it came normal. Can you help and suggest the reason
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I think you should wait for another 2 days as it generally takes about 5-7 days after completing the course of Meprate to get your periods.
There are multiple causes of irregular periods which include hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovaries ovarian disease(PCOD), hyperprolactinemia, anovulatory cycles, stress amongst others. Since diabetes and hypothyroidism have already been ruled out, I would suggest the following:
•     Please get an ultrasound of the pelvic region and a serum prolactin level done after waiting for a few days.
•     Reduce your stress levels through XXXXXXX breathing and meditation
•     Have a healthy and balanced diet.
Once you have the reports, we can discuss them
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Delayed periods, pregnancy test negative. GTT, sugar and thyroid test normal. What is the reason? 6 days later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for writting.
Well Doctor, today i had an ultrasound of the pelvic region in which it came 4 weeks and 3 days pregnancy . Now doctor I am bit worried as earlier when my pregnancy test came -ve , my Doctor advised my to take Meprate for my periods . But now it came that its pregnancy , so i am bit feared/ worried that can meprate affect my pregnancy or my baby.
As well, by when I can hear my baby's Heart beat.
Thanks & Regards.
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Meprate should be avoided during pregnancy whenever possible.

It is a category D drug, which means there is risk to the fetus.

Since you have used it when pregnancy was not known please discuss with your Gynaecologist regarding the risk to fetus and the further line of management.

The heartbeat of the fetus can be heard around 7 weeks of pregnancy.

Hope this answer is helpful to you.