Delayed periods, only a spot of blood, cramps, dizziness, negative pregnancy test. Am I pregnant?

Question
i am 2 months late on my period i had a spot of blood last month and that was it. ive been having cramping all the time but no period and i have dizziness. my pregnanncy tests have been negative i went and took a blood test and it was also negative what coulds this be am i pregnant?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for the query

This is less likely to be a pregnancy as the blood tests meaning beta hCG levels are also negative.

Chances of ectopic are also less but to be more sure you get an ultraosund done which will clear the cause of delayed periods.

The causes can be ovarian cysts or hormonal disturbances.

Get your thyroid function tests done.

For cramping you can take tablet meftal spas (dicycloverine hydrochloride) under your doctor's guidance and prescription.

I hope this answers your query
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Delayed periods, only a spot of blood, cramps, dizziness, negative pregnancy test. Am I pregnant? 28 minutes later
ok so if it is ectopic it wouldnt show up positive in the blood test? and also where is this cramping coming from its been on and off for serveral weeks and it feels like im going to get my period but it never comes. so my best bet is to get an ultrasound then is that what your saying?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 9 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Yes it is better to go for an ultrasound.

Endometriosis can also causes cramps.

Urine pregnancy test can pick up ectopic pregnancy also. I mentioned ectopic, as in very rare cases, the tests show negative results due to lower hormonal levels.

It is better to go for the scan so that we are not missing anything.

Hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, only a spot of blood, cramps, dizziness, negative pregnancy test. Am I pregnant? 9 hours later
i have already tested for hormones and thyroid they were all great. I did make an appointment for an ultrasound so i hope someone can find something thats causing this. do you think i could be pregnant even with all my pregnancy tests negative? because im trying to become pregnant but since my periods arent regular i never know when i ovulate and if it is really early pregnancy will they detect it being so early will it even show on the ultrasound?>

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Ultrasound is the best tool for detecting gynaecology and obstetrics problems and also to find out if you are pregnant.

You can go for the ovulation studies and FSH(follicle stimulating hormone) tests also.

Waiting to see your report.