Delayed periods, not sexually active. Reasons for not having periods?

Question
Hello doctor, my age is 20 , height is 5 feet and weight 36kg. I had my last period on 10th Dec 2011 and today is 19th XXXXXXX It had passed more than 35days and there are no symptoms of mensuration I usually have like pain in my back or leg. I am not having physical relation with anyone, I am worried why this is happening?
Earlier my periods where regular and varied between 28-35 days.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

Since you are not having any physical relations with anyone, pregnancy is ruled out.

The other reasons of delayed periods could be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that need to be explored.

If this has happened for the first time, then you can simply wait for few more days and see if your periods begin. Else visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up. He/she may also suggest you to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, not sexually active. Reasons for not having periods? 12 minutes later
As you mentioned about hormonal imbalance, stress, anxiety etc then I am not having any such kind of feeling.
I am very happy with my life and I have been healthy till now. Till what time should I wait before seeing any doctor.
Is this normal to miss a period?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Normally, one should not miss periods, but this is not a uncommon problem. Mild hormonal imbalances are responsible for most of the times. You can wait till the end of this month and if still there is no bleeding, then you must consult your Gynecologist for further advice and treatment.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, not sexually active. Reasons for not having periods? 48 hours later
Hello Doc
Does the change of water and place effects periods?
I experience delay in my periods when my place is changed ( as I travel between my hometown and work place).

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

A change in place and weather and altered environmental factors and even change in diet can delay or prepone the periods. Your traveling might be a responsible factor in the delay of your periods.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please do accept this answer if there are no further queries.