Delayed periods, home pregnancy test negative, Beta HCG test for confirmation

Question
Hi Doctor,
My wife got period last time on jul 29th and today i.e 4th sep home pregnancy test is negative. Do you think she can still pregnant

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Delayed periods, home pregnancy test negative, Beta HCG test for confirmation 2 minutes later
She has following symptoms now:

claear white discharge, got period last time on jul 29th and today i.e 4th sep home pregnancy test is negative, frequent urintation

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.

If her pregnancy test is negative, I would advise you to wait for 3-4 more days and repeat the test using the early morning first sample of urine. If the test still comes negative then may be she is not pregnant.

The confirmatory test is serum Beta- Hcg (Human Chorionic Gonadotropins) levels. Rising titre of serum Beta- Hcg is diagnostic of pregnancy.

Other causes are to be considered, if pregnancy is ruled out and periods doesn't come.
It could be related to stress or the problem involving the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.

Hypothyroidism, post pill amenorrhea, polycystic ovarian syndrome are the other causes that may cause delayed periods.

I would advice you to repeat the pregnancy tests after few days. If it is negative again, seek the help of Gynecologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, home pregnancy test negative, Beta HCG test for confirmation 19 hours later
Thanks doctor,

She is using vitamin tablets and XXXXXXX syrup. Do you think this can affect the home pregnancy test.

She never missed her periods. She has overflow problem and that problem solved after DNC. Now she has been getting her periods regularly for last 3 cycles.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Taking vitamin tablets and XXXXXXX syrup does not affect the Pregnancy test. She needs a repeat test after a few days with the morning sample.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, home pregnancy test negative, Beta HCG test for confirmation 1 hour later
Thanks docotor,

I heard that pregnancy test after 1 week of missed period will give the accurate results. Since I have already tested after 1 week, repeated test might give the same result. please confirm

Thanks

Good to hear from you again.

Usually it gives the same results but in some cases, if there is late conception then second test comes Positive. Single test might be false negative as your wife's periods are very regular and this has happened for the first time, there is no harm in double checking the results.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.