Delayed periods, frequent urination, morning sickness, nausea. PCOS. Taken susten. Is this pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
I have Polycystic ovaries for the past 5 years. i got married on 2011 and completed 1 yr. For the past 1 yr i was taking susten 200 from 19th day of my menstrual cycle (1 tb at nite) for 8 10-11 days. After withdrawl i will get periods the 3rd day from withdrawl. For the past 1 yr i am following this as per doctor advice. but this month after withdrawl of susten my periods got delayed for about 20 days. thus now i am 50 days and have symptoms like frequent urination, morning sickness and nausea. wanted to know am i pregnant?
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX
thanks for the query.
polycystic ovary syndrome causes menstrual irregularity and anovulation is one of them.
in anovulation there will be deficiency of progesterone that is why your doctor prescribed susten to you.
it will help to maintain the luteal phase of cycle and after stopping it will lead to withdrawal bleeding.
in case of pregnancy, susten will also help in implantation of zygote and maintenance of pregnancy.

as your periods are delayed for 20 days and as per your symptoms there is possibility of pregnancy,
in case of pregnancy now it will be around 7 weeks, so you once consult gynecologist and get examined, take pregnancy test and one ultrasound which will rule out the possibility of pregnancy.
if pregnancy is there you can follow with regular antenatal checkups,
if not you take tablets for withdrawal bleeding with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Delayed periods, frequent urination, morning sickness, nausea. PCOS. Taken susten. Is this pregnancy? 11 minutes later
i consulted doctor last 11th XXXXXXX she told me to wait till 22nd XXXXXXX so i just wanted to ask u which pregnanacy tes will be more reliable blood or scan or urine.. pl reply

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi XXXXXXX

if you are sure of your dates,
you first go for blood test for pregnancy which will detect levels of HCG and by this pregnancy can be confirmed,
then you undergo ultrasound examination which will tell you the age of gestation.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.