Delayed periods and nose bleeding. Should I be worried?

May 2014

Hi I am a 23 year old female and my period has always been pretty regular and its never missed a month. This month however I haven't gotten it yet and it's been 37 days since the start of my last period. Should I be worried? Also, today I got a nosebleed, the second one I've ever had in my life. Is there any reason to believe that this could be connected to my missing period?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It would be inportant to know if you have had any possible medical conditions or are possibly pregnant. Since you have not mentioned about any active sexual life, I assume that it is unlikely that you might be pregnant. You have also not mentioned about taking any birth control pills, they can also cause delayed periods. Delayed periods can be due to stress related anxiety which is a very common occurrence. It can also be due to conditions like thyroid disorders or polycystic ovarian syndrome. Nose bleed commonly happens due to nose picking in patients with allergic rhinitis. The nasal mucosa gets dry and picking it causes injury and bleeding. There are situations when pregnant eomen have nose bleed during pregnancy because of hormonal imbalances and this is the only condition connecting the two symptoms. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: Delayed periods and nose bleeding. Should I be worried? 23 minutes later
Hi, Hopefully by answering some of your questions you can give me a better idea of whether or not me missing my period is normal or something I should seek out a doctor for. In your response you weren't very clear in what I should do next or if I should be worried. I am not sexually active so there is no chance of me being pregnant. I am also not taking birth control pills. In terms of my medical history, the only surgeries/operations I have had are getting tubes in my ears as a baby for bad ear infections and getting my adenoids removed a couple of years ago to help with breathing easier and reducing my seasonal allergies. The only medications I am on are Claritin D and Nasonex as needed to help to help with my seasonal allergies - prescribed by my ENT doctor. I am overweight but I am currently dieting and excising in an effort to lose weight to be healthier. I do not have any diseases or conditions that I know of. I am currently enrolled in graduate school so stress could definitely be a factor, but considering I have never ever missed a period before it seems strange that now would be the first time I would miss a period due to stress. PCOS would of course be bad and something I would need to get checked out by a doctor. Is it likely that I could have that? It seems like since this is my first time having a menstrual irregularity that it's a bit extreme to immediately assume that that is the answer. Are there any other reasons for why my period is late/skipped this month? Do you think I should be concerned or not? Thanks!
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in with an update. Since we rule out pregnancy and intake of birth control pills as possible causes of your missed periods, we need to discuss about the other possibilities in you. 1. Possibility of PCOS persists and this is usually a clinical diagnosis made by your gynaecologist and necessitates an ultrasound scan of your ovaries. As you mention that you are overweight, this cause may need further evaluation. 2. Clinical evaluation to rule out medical conditions including thyroid dysfunction and prolactinomas (benign tumors of the pituitary gland). 3. Mental stress that may be causing your delayed periods. 4. Exercise induced missed periods - this is due to physical stress on your body. But this is usually seen in women with low ody weight. The combination of low body weight and intense exercise causes amenorrhea. Coming to the most important question whether you should be concerned or not, I suggest you wait for a few more days and if it's close to missing two cycles, then please consult your doctor. If you strongly feel that enrolling at graduate school is causing you stress, consulting a psychiatrist or psychologist might help. Your anti allergic rhinitis medications have little to do with missed periods. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek