Delayed periods. Urine pregnancy test positive. Beta HCG shows negative. Am I pregnant?

Excellent

Question
Hi. I got a positive result with Preganews but when I got a Beta HCG done it shows Negative. My Periods are delayed by 14 days. Please tell me am I pregnant?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I have seen your reports and both reports are showing a positive pregnancy test. The urine test for pregnancy is positive and the serum test reports also corresponds to 3278 mIU/ml which is also positive for pregnancy. 35 days after your last menstrual period or the 5th week of your pregnancy the levels should be between 18 to 7,340 mIU/ml.

However blood hCG levels are not very helpful to test for the viability of the pregnancy if the hCG level are above 6,000 and/or after 6-7 weeks of the pregnancy. Instead, to test the health of the pregnancy better, a sonogram should be done to confirm the presence of a fetal heart beat.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.
Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed periods. Urine pregnancy test positive. Beta HCG shows negative. Am I pregnant? 15 hours later
Dear Doc.

Thanks for the quick and positive response. Just a small query. The biological ref. range states <5 and reference range below shows <5 for non pregnant or premenopausal. Please explain the same.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me. A blood serum level of less than 5 mIU/ml (5 IU/L) can be considered negative and anything above 25 mIU/ml (25 IU/L) positive for pregnancy. Hence we take the reference range of HCG for pregnancy as 5 mIU/ml.

Regards.