Delayed periods. Taking Nevelon. Had unprotected sex. Cause for delay? Pregnancy?

My wife (29 y.o) is on Novelon for the past 6 months. She usually has her period between 24th and 27th of each month. This cycle, she hasn't had her period yet and it's more than a week since when she was supposed to have it. Since her period hasn't started yet, she hasn't started with the next cycle of Novelon yet. We had unprotected sex twice in the past 7 days. Can she become pregnant? Also, what is delaying her otherwise regular period?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy not possible

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query with diligence.

She cannot get pregnant as she is on Novelon and she is taking the medicine regularly. Although, you had unprotected sexual intercourse twice in the past 7 days, there is no chance of she getting pregnant in view of ovulation inhibition (prevention of release of egg).

One of the common side effects of Novelon is amenorrhoea or lack of periods or menstruation. This side effect is not harmful but may be unpleasant.

Please do not worry about this. Your wife will soon get her periods normally.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Delayed periods. Taking Nevelon. Had unprotected sex. Cause for delay? Pregnancy? 48 minutes later
Thank you, doctor.
Can she start having Novelon for the next cycle, even though she hasn't had her period yet? Or, should she wait till she gets her period?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not start Novelon again

Detailed Answer:

She must wait until she gets her period. If she does not get her periods in another week's time, please consult her gynecologist for further management.

Do not start Novelon again now until she gets her periods.

Hope this is clear.