Delayed periods. Pregnancy test negative. noticed reddish discharge. Prescribed Regesterone. Safe?

Hi Doctor,

I have a question regarding the occurence of my period. The last period I had was on 1st August and as per my calculation I generally get periods at intervals of 30 days. In the last few months, I have seen occurences of periods happening at intervals of 40-45 days. However, this time I am more than 20 days overdue (22 days to be precise). I have taken Velocit pregnancy test at home twice (once in the last 5 days and once in the last 10-15 days) and both times it has shown negative results. I am also seeing a slight reddish discharge (very little or negligible, just at times I see reddish fluid when I touch).

I have seen a doctor recently and I have been prescribed to take Regesterone medicine from today. One thing that I noticed is that the doctor asked us whether we are planning for pregnancy or not. We said no. Then the doctor prescribed this medicine. However, we would like to know if there are any chances of pregnancy in my case and if so, will taking regesterone pose any threats to that? Though we are not planning for pregnancy, if it occurs inspite of our precautions, we would not like to pose any threat to it by taking tablets against it. I do not say that I doubt the capabilities of the doctor, but would just like to take a second opinion to be doubly sure.

I also had Prolactin and Thyroid tests during my last visit to the doctor. TSH is 1.24 and Prolactin was 16.3. Both have been shown to be within limits.

Request your opinion in this case.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No Regesterone does not affect fertility

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of OBG, working with an experienced Endocrinologist. I answer on his behalf.

No, Regesterone does not affect your fertility or pregnancy. Its a progesterone hormone which is naturally produced in women during second half of the period.

Considering the lengthy periods, I suspect it to be due to failure of ovulation. I suggest you to get a ovary ultrasound scan to determine the follicle health. This indicates chances of pregnancy in future.