Delayed periods. Noticed spotting. What does this indicate?

I was supposed to start my period on Thursday. I spotted a little on Saturday. I used the bathroom, wiped and on the toilet paper was pink tinged mucus. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The pnkish discharge can be due to several things. Maybe your next period has set in or we are probably looking at an implantation spotting or an abortion ( we'll have to confirm a pregnancy for that) or it could be just due to some local trauma.
Here's what you should be doing in this order
a. If you do not get your period, please do a urine pregnancy test at home 1 week after the day you should have started your period. So as per dates, you should be doing the test on 24th October. If you want to know earlier, see a physician and get a serum beta hCG done for yourself. This is a blood test and will pick up the pregnancy sooner.
If this is positive, I would suggest that a transvaginal ultrasound scan be done at 6 weeks.
b. If you do get your period, it could be due to the beginning of your next period or due to local trauma ( which may be sustained during intercourse).

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.