Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I had unprotected sex on may 23 and my last period was may 13, and i still haven't started.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later

In women with shorter menstrual cycles like with 24 to 26 days cycle length, ovum can release on around 10th day.
In that case there is possibility of pregnancy.
In case of longer menstrual cycles the possibility is somewhat less.
Delay in periods can occur due to many causes other than pregnancy.
But better to rule out pregnancy once. So take urine pregnancy test once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. What should I do? 3 days later
With having the unprotected sex, Im suppose to see a Dr. later today, how far along would I might be? Would the 23rd be the day that I would go from?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

You have to calculate the gestational age from the last menstrual period means from May 13th.
So if you are having pregnancy, the gestational age will be around 6 weeks 1 day.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. What should I do? 1 hour later
I don't understand why I would be almost 6 weeks and 1 day. If my last period was the 13th of may and I had sex the 23 rd of may. Sorry for not understanding, I am young and really didn't plan on this. I did have a ring
that was for 30 days .

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later

I told the possible gestational age in case of pregnancy.
If you are having ring the possibility of pregnancy is less.
So you check for pregnancy once.
If pregnancy is not there and delay in periods is due to some other reason like hormonal imbalance no need to worry.

If pregnancy is there, as I told your gestational age should be calculated from your last menstrual period i.e. May 13th.
So,
May 13th to 31st - 19 days XXXXXXX 1st to XXXXXXX 24th - 24 days
Total - 43 days means 43/7= 6 weeks 1 day.

Follow-up: Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. What should I do? 14 hours later
If I slept with another person with in a day or two how do I figure who or when
may have gotten me pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

It is difficult to say who is the father unless you correctly know the time of ovulation.
Even then as the life period of released ovum is 24 to 48 hours. It can be fertilized at any point during that period.
So post-delivery DNA test is the method that can exactly detect who is the father.