Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. Noticed blood in urine. Taking meprate. Chances of pregnancy?

Hello,me and my bf had sex before my periods. Starting we had unprotected sex but he had taken out before he had ejacuted.after that i had applied jelly in my vagina then.he had ejacuted sperms but i had quikly washed it and scared as still i havnt got my periods and two days since every morning while urinating blood is coming out after that its not till the whole day. Being scared of getting pregnant from today i started taking meprate. So i want to know is it ok to take the medicine and why blood is coming out and not periods. And i also wanted to say that i usually get irregular periods
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Removal of the penis before ejaculation is, I am afraid, one of the most unreliable birth control methods called the coitus interruptus. Sperm usually comes out of the penis before ejaculation, and it is very possible to get pregnant with this method.
Irregular or lack of periods in a female of reproductive age, especially after being exposed to a risky sexual act should make a pregnancy test very mandatory before thinking of any other thing.

It is however not unusual that stress, or some physiologic changes in the females environment could lead to delayed periods. In your case, especially with a past history of irregular periods, I strongly suggest you get a pregnancy test done first. It shall be preferable to do a blood sample Beta HCG measurement, which is one of the most sensitive pregnancy tests that could detect very early pregnancies. A transvaginal ultrasound is also offered if absolute early pregnancies really need to be detected. It is only after this that a clear idea and appropriate management plan could actually be advocated.

Blood could be coming out as drops for three main reasons:
1st: In case it's a pregnancy, some ladies do experience what is called implantation bleeding
2nd: It could still be serious, considering the fact you are stressed and do have a past history of period irregularity.
3rd: Other causes of bleeding, although rare, could be causing the bleeding and should always be borne in mind during the evaluation process of a female of reproductive age. These are ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy,ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids. These causes are very unlikely, but possible in this case.

A simple pregnancy test, serial Beta HCG measurement and an Abdominopelvic ultrasound scan (USG) are grossly sufficient to make a clear diagnosis, coupled with a clinical evaluation. management becomes very specific and exact.

I strongly suggest you consult your long term management of period irregularity, and advice on appropriate and adapted birth control options in your case. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Feel very free asking any specific questions if you need help. Wishing you the best of health and kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.

I strongly suggest th
Follow-up: Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. Noticed blood in urine. Taking meprate. Chances of pregnancy? 8 minutes later
it was my first sex. so am bit nervous,so i thought to take meprate to get my periods..we had sex on friday.i.e on 28-06-2013.-29-07-2013.Though i had applied jelly like cream (contraseptive) to avoid any pregnancy on the second da y when he had fully ejacuted inside me but quickly i had washed it and urinated and from 1-07-2013 am getting fewer drops of blood coming out early morning. coming of blood can be sign of period?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

As I earlier mentioned, it is very possible that this could be your periods. In case you do not get full periods, or you start feeling abdominal discomfort, frequent urination, breast tenderness or nausea and vomiting, these could be early signs of pregnancy. Doing a pregnancy test at this point would be very indicated. for now, I think you stay calm for a few days, and any abnormalities in the flow or observation of unusual feeling as mentioned above used push you to get other investigations to exclude a pregnancy or other cause.

For you need to be patient. it is very possible it could be your period.

thanks once again and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Delayed periods. Had unprotected sex. Noticed blood in urine. Taking meprate. Chances of pregnancy? 5 minutes later
thanks for your reply..and taking meprate is fine or just wait for my periods?will it cause any side effects?taking it can terminate my being pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would strongly suggest you stop and meprate and wait for your periods. Your nor justification ton take. Stay very calm and wait.

Thanks once again and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.