Delayed periods. Had sex when due for periods. Having cramps and low back pain. Noticed spotting. Pregnancy test negative. Help?

hey I had sex a day after I was due for my period
now im five days late and im having cramps and lower back pain
when I went to the toilet today and wiped there was a drop of blood. . I had a pregnancy test it was negative please help
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a delayed period.

Detailed Answer:

For a regular 28-30 day cycle, ovulation falls around 14th-16th day of the cycle and is always 14 days before the onset of the next period. As such, those days around the time of ovulation are considered fertile and the remaining days as safe. Going by this, you had intercourse during the safe period and as such there is no chance of conception.

I think it is a delayed period and is manifesting as a small breakthrough. It should evolve in a day or two. If you still wish to exclude/confirm pregnancy, I would suggest the serum beta-hCG assay as this is conclusive evidence.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.