Delayed period, protected sex, on meprate, Pregnant? Suggest.

Hi. im 25 years old, unmarried. i had my periods on march 28, 2011. Then on april 8, 2011 i had protected sex. I did not get my periods on time. I did around 5 urine pregnancy but all were negative. I did the latest pregnancy test (may 7, 2011) but it was also negative. my usual period cycle is 27-32 days. I also consulted a doctor also and was prescribed to take meprate for 5 days, one tablet each day. The course finished on may 6, 2011 and then i got my periods on may was a normal 3 to 4 day period with a very heavy flow on the first day but i was normal after that. Now i expected my periods on XXXXXXX 7th but still have not got any till now. There is no sign on any cramps or any pain on my breast as i usually use to feel when i was due for my periods. I am really worried as to what could be the reason. I have not had any intercourse since april 8, 2011. Can it be pregnancy because of april 8 intercourse?? (but i doubt since i had my periods on may 8th after taking the course of merprate). what can i do to get my periods?? i am very stressed, as a delayed periods always makes me think of being pregnant. please advise. It is making me go insane. plz help..
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later

You can be assured that pregnancy isn't a factor here.

You had a normal period in may and haven't had sex since then. So pregnancy isnt an issue here.

What may have happened is that your periods may be delayed due to hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress etc. You are only delayed by 1 day at present. So you need to wait for a few more days.

I believe that you should get your periods soon. If at all it doesn't, then you should see your doctor. some blood tests to test for hormonal imbalance that is causing irregular periods is perhaps entailed.

Currently, I suggest you to wait for a week and then if no periods happen then consider consulting a gynecologist. Just remember that you cannot be pregnant from the april 8th episode and if you haven't had unprotected sexual intercourse since then, then pregnancy chances are nil.

Hope my answer is adequate. I am available for follow up should you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Delayed period, protected sex, on meprate, Pregnant? Suggest. 7 hours later
Thank you doc..
my concern is that in may the period i had was after taking a course of meprate.. so concerned if i need to take meprate again..i want my periods to come naturally as i dont want to depend on medicine all the time, as body will always rely on medicine. Also i have always had regular periods for last 12 years..i cant find any reason of emotional upset, stress or anxiety.. this hormonal imbalance is really scaring loosing my there any natural way to get periods..I am really getting very worried..i cannot concentrate on my work also. and april 8th episode and then periods on may 8th (after meprate), hope still no chance of any pregnancy ?? im really very worried..
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

No, I feel that pregnancy shouldn't be the issue. But if you have been having regular periods since last 12 yrs then there shouldn't be any reason why you would have irregular periods now. But wait a week or so and see if you miss your period again, then if required you may need medication again. There are sometimes several underlying hormonal conditions that might cause irregular periods.

I would advise you to get evaluated for hormonal imbalances. There isn't any other natural way to 'get periods' other than getting it naturally. Its a normal body function in women that should come on its own.

It would be better to wait for few days more or see your doctor to get evaluated to find the cause.

Hope this answers your query.