Delayed period, negative pregnancy test. Trying to conceive. Could I still be pregnant?

Mar 2016

My period was two days late. It came on Saturday instead of Thursday. I took two pregnancy tests and both were negative. My last period was April 18 to April 23. My husband and I made love on May 5. May I still be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 48 minutes later

Period date may alter up to 7 days, particularly prior to menopausal age. It is considered as normal thing. It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress.

Unprotected sex on May 5 is quite risky for being pregnant as it was close to fertile days. In this circumstances, you undergo one blood test for beta-HCG to confirm pregnancy at the earliest. Early pregnancy test is not reliable.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are anxiety or emotional upset, irregular eating habit, overweight or loss, extreme weight loss, vaginal infection etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like pelvic ultrasound scan, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination if you get negative blood test report.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Delayed period, negative pregnancy test. Trying to conceive. Could I still be pregnant? 43 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. Just wondering, is it possible to be pregnant and still have my period?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

It is quite impossible to be pregnant after period over. But sometimes early sign of miscarriage may be missed with period bleeding. Therefore, one blood test for beta hcg is required to confirm that though you got 2 negative pregnancy tests.

Hope it clears your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Be well. Good luck.

Dr Soumen