Delayed period, bloated, swollen ankles and feeling nauseated. Had taken provera. Early menopause?

I had a normal menstrual last month January 5th, since then I am to start actually in that same month end of January 31 or the 1st of February. In either case, I have not started my menstrual and have been feeling bloated. I also showing a slight case of swollen ankles, I sometimes felt nauseated, tired but that seem to have went away. I even believe that I've went into early menopause but don't know the symptoms precisely. I have in the past has lost my menstrual cycle where I had to take birth control pills to make me have a cycle or provera to start my cycle. However, I'm not sure what to do at this point while my period is 5 days late, I'm also irregular as well. I even thought that my cycle is changing up? All this guess work is tiredsome. Just to let you know, I'm not able to see my OBGYN until next month 3/13/12. In the meantime, I like to just have some idea to discuss with her.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Your period is late by 5 days. It could be due to mild hormonal disturbances that are commonly seen around the perimenopausal age group. The symptoms of nausea, bloating and tiredness could be related to premenstrual syndrome or perimenopausal symptoms.
In addition to your symptoms, the other symptoms of menopause include- hot flashes, menstrual irregularities, sleep disruptions, mood swings and urinary problems.
Since your period is overdue by 5 days the first thing that needs to be excluded is pregnancy- you can use the preg card test available over the counter at all the pharmacies.
After the pregnancy is ruled out, you can wait for a few days for your periods to normalize on their own. To pin point the hormonal disturbance, few blood tests like serum FSH, TSH levels will be helpful. Meanwhile try to remain stress free.
Restrict your salt intake and have a good night's sleep.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Delayed period, bloated, swollen ankles and feeling nauseated. Had taken provera. Early menopause? 9 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal,

I did forget to mention that I did take a pregnancy test a couple of days ago, it came out negative. I'm not sure if I need to do another one or not? So pretty much give up on believing to conceive? On my next doctor appointment, I'm to undergo a procedure uterine biopsy, to detect any abnormalities for the cause of a previous miscarriage.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

When did you get the test done? – If the pregnancy test was done just a day or two after you were overdue, then you may repeat the test again after 2 days to be doubly sure.

As long as you you’re your periods, even if they are irregular the chances of conception exist. So do not worry. Go ahead with the uterine biopsy as scheduled by your gynecologist.

As far as the current delay in your period is concerned, it is probably as a result of hormonal disturbances, if pregnancy is ruled out. So do not worry again.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

All the best!!