Delayed period. Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason for delay?

Question
Hi, I had sex earlier this month on the 8th, we didn't use a condom but there was no ejaculations. However around the 13th I got some bleeding and lasted about 5 days along with some clear ewcm in between. however that time would be right in the middle of my cycle. My last menstrual date was on the 26th Feb and ended on the 4th. 13th march would be day 16 of my cycle. And i have 31-33 days in my cycle. I went for a blood pregnancy test on the 18th and it was negative. So I took another home pregnancy test last night and this morning and both were negative as well. Today would be day 34 in the cycle. Would stress or anything cause this problem since I lost my virginity recently before my last period. What are the chances of being pregnant? I didn't engage in sex after that cept once on the 9th with protection.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The pregnancy caused by having sex on 8th March should have been detected by blood test on 18th or a urine test after 28th March.

Since all your tests are negative and you had a 5-day long period on 13th March, the chances of pregnancy are negligible.

Stress can cause you an early or a delayed period.

You should expect your next period around 15th April and in case you do not get any bleeding till then, do consult your gynaecologist for a few blood tests and proper management.

Also, you can discuss with your gynaecologist regarding a safe, reliable method of contraception for the future.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Delayed period. Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason for delay? 1 hour later
I won't consider that as a period on 13th March, and it was more like a slight bleed, and a bit more than spotting and stopped after 2days and I had clear ewcm and it came on again after some running and gym. I only had to use a liner. The bleeding was more of a bright red rather than a period red. I asked the doctor when I had the blood test and he told me it might be ovulation bleeding since I wasn't positive on the blood pregnancy test. I had a pap smear and a pelvic test done and it was good. What could be the cause, since pregnancy is negligible? I just wanted to make sure that it couldn't be pregnancy. Could ovulation bleeding last that long also?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

If it was only a mild spotting then the bleeding could be due to ovulation or a vaginal infection. If the swab test was normal then ovulation bleeding is likely. It can sometimes persist for upto 5 days.

The delay in periods in that case can be related to stress and anxiety. You need to wait for a week more and if still there is no bleeding then hormonal treatment might be needed for a withdrawal bleeding.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Delayed period. Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason for delay? 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for answering, however, I noticed some milky white discharge yesterday and earlier this evening, I thought it was normal and since it occurred again, I had better check. It was more like a watery lotion texture and not a sticky or eggwhite one. Is it normal to have this discharge? I never really noticed this symptom before. Also, is it also true that having sex for the first time can cause a period to go off track? Just checking. Can a pap smear also somewhat detect whether one is pregnant or not?

Mild milky white discharge is a normal finding and is due to the normal hormonal variations in the body.
Sex for the first time does not affect the periods, but the anxiety associated with pregnancy can cause a hormonal imbalance causing a delay in the periods.

A PAP smear cannot detect a pregnancy. The best way is to get a blood test done for serum beta HCG levels.

Regards.

Follow-up: Delayed period. Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason for delay? 6 hours later
Thanks. I was wondering should I retake a HPT if my period does not come? and by when should I retest? Which brand of test would you recommend? I bought the Gold Digital First Response. I was wondering if what both did go wrong and did not detect. But the blood test should have picked it up right? Just that I felt that it was a bit early in my cycle so I'm not really certain on the answer.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

The home pregnancy tests are 97%accurate.

Sometimes, if you test too early, or do so following a wrong method (inadequate amount of urine or reading the result on the strip too early or too late), a false negative (test saying negative while you are actually pregnant) may occur.

Also, if the urine is not collected in a sterile vial and is contaminated by other substances like soap etc, this might happen.

For the 3 % chance of error, it is best to consult a Gynecologist, who would examine you, and order blood pregnancy test or an ultrasound if there is any suspicion of pregnancy.

A blood pregnancy test is not likely to miss a pregnancy if done 10 days after day of ovulation.
If you do not get your periods by 10th April then you need to do a repeat test and go for hormonal therapy for a withdrawal bleeding.

You can use Gold digital first response test for repeat test.

Follow-up: Delayed period. Had unprotected sex. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason for delay? 21 minutes later
Thanks for your replies. I just gotten my period earlier this afternoon.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later

Thank you.

I am glad I could help.

You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards,