Delayed in taking birth control pill. Is it normal to start spotting and bleeding?

Hello, i'm on 'loette' birth control for about 2 weeks now. On the 10th day, i was late bout 6 hours from normal time i used to take the pill and cont as per normal for the next day. What i do not understand is, i started bleeding on the day i was late, at first just a little, but later on i started changing my panty liner 4 times a day. Now it has been 2 days after, i still have spotted bleeding. Is that normal? Should i be worried or change birth control pill. I had sex on the 11th day, can i get pregnant?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes, it is normal to start spotting/bleeding if you delay or miss pills. You should not worry and do not change your pill.
You were only late in your pill and did not miss it. So there is no chance of pregnancy.

Your bleeding had started because you delayed your pill.
If you fail to take your pill at the same time each day, your body can interpret the late pill as falling hormone levels, which can initiate bleeding. Once levels start to rise again, the bleeding stops, producing symptoms of spotting. This explains your problem of spotting.
You can avoid spotting by being very consistent with the pills.

Pills are changed only if there has been no failure from your side still you continue to have your cycle problems for 3 months of pill use. Body takes time to adjust to every pill and side effects of all pills are there in first 3 months of use.

Since you did not miss your pill and was only late, there are NO CHANCES of pregnancy. The most important pills are the ones taken 7 days before and after the pill break or menses.
You delayed your pill on the tenth day that is you 10th pill, so you will have no risk of pregnancy even if you had unprotected intercourse on 11th. You were late in your pill but did not miss them. So there should be no risk of pregnancy.

The chance of getting pregnant after missing a pill depends on when the pills are missed and how many pills are missed.

Missing one pill anywhere in your pack or starting the new pack one day late isn’t a problem as you will still be protected against pregnancy (known as having contraceptive cover).
However, missing two or more pills or starting the pack two or more days late (more than 48 hours late) may affect your contraceptive cover.
In particular, if you make the seven-day pill-free break longer by forgetting two or more pills, your ovaries might release an egg and there is a risk of getting pregnant. This is because your ovaries are not getting any effect from the pill during the seven-day break. So never delay or miss the 7 pills before and after the pill break.

I hope I have answered your query.