Delay in periods and bleeding heavily during periods. Undergone blood transfusion, taken iron supplements for anaemia earlier. Worried?

My period started in July, and it's still going. Some days it's light, while some days it's super heavy to the point where I feel blood literally gushing, and have huge blood clots. It all started when my period didn't show up at the regular time of the month. It started about two weeks late, and it's been going every since. This happened to me before about two years ago, and my period lasted about six months before I saw a doctor. I ended up going to a gynecologist and they almost had to admit me into the hospital and do a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin was in the 8's. I also ended up taking iron pills because of anemia. Anyway, she gave me birth control and it eventually stopped and got back on track, and I stopped taking birth control after I got married. My period has been normal every since then and now, it's thrown off again. I was just wondering is there a natural way to stop my period without taking birth control or other medicine? We want to start trying for kids eventually.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hemostatics and iron preparation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

You are suffering from abnormal uterine bleeding. I will advise you to seek medical help as soon as possible to avoid previous episode.

First of all, you should rule out pregnancy with the help of urine pregnancy test or serum beta HCG levels.If it comes out to be negative,then you should get a few investigations done to find out the cause of such bleeding which includes complete blood profile, coagulation profile,blood glucose, thyroid profile and an ultrasound of uterus and adnexa.

In the mean time, you can take tablets of hemostatics (tranexemic acid) and mefenemic acid 500mg each 3 times daily for 3 to 5 days until your bleeding stops. If it does not help, then you should seek professional help immediately for injectable hemostatics to control bleeding.I will also suggest you to start some iron preparation also to build up the loss.

I will advise you to get examined yourself by a qualified healthcare professional and then he/ she may help in your further management according to examination and reports.

Good Luck.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you. If you have any further query you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: