Delay in periods after stopping cerazette. Transvaginal scan showing cyst in left ovary. Advised to take Ca 125 test. Anything serious?

Hi , i have been to my GP for a check because my periodic was late after i stop taking cerazette pils and then she send me for transvaginal scan . The result came last week all normal just on left ovary is a cyst 16mmx17mmx17mm she Said it doesnt worry her but i need to repete the scan in januarie and in the meantime do the blood test Ca 125 . Could you tell me Please if is Anything seriuos or is just a rutin test .All other parts (right ovary , etc.)are normal .thank S-o much XXXX
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most cysts go away on their own

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.

The repeat scan in January is to see if the ovarian cyst goes away on its own, they commonly disappear with no treatment. This repeat scan would determine whether it is the same size (which would not be a concern if you are not having any problems) or whether it is getting smaller.

Ca 125 is a test used as a marker for tumors, it is usually found at higher levels in cancer cells than in other area if the body, particularly in ovarian cancer.
Though the levels are high in cancer, benign (non cancerous) conditions can also cause an increase.

Though the normal level may vary between labs, it is usually suppose to be less than 35.

Your doctor is requesting the test just to be on the safe side, it is usually requested if an ovarian cyst is present. It does not mean that there is any cancer present.

By doing it now, she will know what your baseline (normal) value is so that in the future she can monitor it for any changes.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions