Degenerative disc disease, soliosis, spinal stenosis, X-ray abnormal, left rib on top of iliac bone. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 64, 5'4 have suffered with degenerative disc disease for over 35 years have soliosis, spinal stenosis among others. I have been to orthopedic doctors, rheumatologists, pain specialists and have suffered with been all these years. I just came from a pain management doctor who took xrays and said that my left rib is on top of my iliac bone. I am in dire pain and no one helps.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Yadav 15 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

Your history suggests that you are suffering from Severe Scoliosis and symptoms because of that. I understand the suffering you are going through and feel sorry for it.

Two things are importantly considered here. These things can be optimized if you get treatment from doctors who practice under a single roof or single group practice where they can discuss each other effectively. The outcome is better in such a case.

a) The pain management is very critical and tricky for any doctor in such stage. But it is important for the doctor to give options on the pain management or design a customized protocol speaking with you. I am sure a pain medicine specialist will be doing a better job for pain relief alone.

It also makes sense to approach physical and rehab specialist, Acupuncture and Chiropractic if they can add some methods to improve the quality of life.

Now a days there are better pain relieving measures which can help to improve the quality of life in a person like you with degenerative bone disease. Of course you have to understand that these medications have few side effects. Hence it is important for any doctor to weigh the benefits and risk before suggesting the management.

b) I would suggest you to consult one of these surgeons for specific management of your condition which I consider to be severe scoliosis.

1. Orthopedic Surgeon specially a Spine Surgeon

2. Neurosurgeon.

They will be able to help you with more advanced treatment options for your spine problem, as they are specialized in complex spine surgeries.

Let me know if you have any specific questions for me to answer. I will be available to answer the follow up.