Degenerated lumbar disc, stable continuous pain, daily activities hampered

myself XXXXXXX suffering from degenerated lumber disc since jan2005. age-45, height-172cm,weight-67kg.i am working as a sports officer in agovt. college, but due to lower back injury my daily activities have been hampered.there is 24hrs painbut tolerable neither it increases nor decreses its stable.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Aches starting from the hip and radiating down the leg is due to a problem with the back (spine).
The most common cause is a disc prolapse or degenerative disc disease. The ache radiates down to your calf if the protruding disc is compressing the nerves supplying your leg.
A disc prolapse can be caused following trauma to your back or, most of the times, without any reason.
Usually the pain gets relieved on taking pain killers.
For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killers that you are currently taking, after consulting with your orthopaedician. If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can avoid the surgery for some time.

Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.