Deficient in vitamin B12, low immunity, nosebleed, low BP, swollen red throat. Permanent cure?

Hi I am 42 years old male from India, weight 53 kgs, ht 5 ft. 4 inches.I have hiatus hernia as well as Hypothyroidism ( I take 50 mcg Eltroxin tab each day). I suffrer from severe constipation and acid reflux. I have to take laxative everyday (Sodium picosulphate/ psyllium husk/ castor oil etc) and PPI antacids each day. This has affected nutrition absorption. I am now deficient in vit. B12.I am also having low immune power as I fall ill frequently. I can not do heavy physical activity. I also bleed through nose each day (if that has any relation). I am always sleepy. I have difficulty remembering specific names/ words.(taking B12 tabs and seen some relief). I have slightly low BP (100/70). I frequently have swollen - red throat. My toungue is always thickly coated with white substance (last 15-20 years). I have pouches under my eyes.

Do I have any permanent hope to cure my problems? Should I take any drugs for long time? How should I keep my lifestyle? Any home remedies? Any food to be avoided?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to answer your questions one by one

1. There is no permanent solution for Hiatus hernia, although surgical options are present but they do not cure the symptoms completely.
Antacids and laxatives reduce absorption of vitamins and minerals so you will need to take your supplements to prevent deficiency of them. It is quite possible that you have developed Vit b12 deficiency because of these medicines

2. Hypothyroidism will have to be treated with medications through out your life with medications

3. Your lifestyle modification should include. i. Cardio exercises like jogging, running, cycling. Avoid bending exercises and weight lifting
ii. Stop smoking and avoid alcohol
iii. Avoid spicy food
Iv. Do not sleep for at least two hours post dinner
V. Add lots of white meat, eggs and vegetables into your diet. This will help you with constipation and Vit b12 deficiency
Vi. Since you suffer from low blood pressure, adding salt to your diet can help

4. You can drink 250l of warm water mixed with honey and lime on an empty stomach in the morning. This will help your constipation and improve your appetite

5. Please avoid spicy, oily food, milk and milk products like cheese and butter

I wish you good health

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer