Deep vein thrombosis, clots on leg, taking clexane injections. Precautions to fly?

I am 47 male and have started taking clexone for XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, 4 clots in left leg. I am supposed to fly to Thailand on Thursday. What precautions should I take.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 36 minutes later
Hi ,

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this Problem?
2.) Are you Diabetic or Hypertensive?
3.) Do you Smoke?
4.) What is your Height and Weight?
5.) What do you do for a living?

You can take Clexane Injections Subcutaneously and other medications if any as directed by your Doctor and go for regular follow up.

Follow these Lifestyle Modifications:

1.) Eat foods XXXXXXX in Vitamin K such as XXXXXXX Leafy vegetables.
2.) Drink plenty of water.
3.) If you are sitting for longer periods, Whenever possible, get up and walk around. If you can't get up to walk around, try raising and lowering your heels while keeping your toes on the floor, then raising your toes while your heels are on the floor. This will exercise your Calf Muscles and improve Blood Circulation.
4.) Always get moving and avoid prolonged bed rests.
5.) Wear compression stockings.
6.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
7.) Avoid smoking and alcohol.
8.) Avoid injuries as you are on a blood thinner and risk of bleeding heavily is higher with this.
9.) Go for regular follow up.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Wish you Good Health and All the Best.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Deep vein thrombosis, clots on leg, taking clexane injections. Precautions to fly? 32 minutes later
Thank you for your answer, but is it safe to fly while on clixone???, I have had this problem for two years and recently put on clixone when I developed 4 more clots in the other leg. I was on clixone 2 years ago. I do not smoke, And I am 6ft 4 ins, and drive a truck, blood pressur is 150/80
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 23 minutes later

Thank you for Writing back to me.

There is no harm in travelling by air if you have XXXXXXX vein thrombosis(DVT), but you need to follow some precautions. You have all the risk factors of developing a XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis. It is because aircraft seating is usually cramped you will tend to remain immobile for long periods, there is the risk of leg swelling and XXXXXXX venous thrombosis, DVT.

Not to worry since you are already been put on Clexane. You can follow the Precautions which I have mentioned in my previous answer.

Carry out frequent and regular stretching exercises, particularly of the lower limbs,
during flight. Also take every opportunity to change position and to walk about in the cabin and wear compression stockings.

Wishing you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.