Deep kissing, protected oral sex, unprotected oral sex, genitals to hands. Chances of contracting HPV ?

Question
What is the likelihood of a female contracting HPV from an infected male partner through:
- XXXXXXX open-mouthed kissing,
- protected oral sex (female on male),
- unprotected oral sex (male on female),
- genitals to hands to genitals?

Thank you very much and regards
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Human papilloma virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms. The virus simply lives on and under the skin.

Please note that all the ways you had mentioned can transmit the virus to the female.

I wish to give some general information here. The only way to prevent the infection is to get yourself vaccinated against the HPV infection and by abstinence.

The most common means of transmission is by skin-to-skin contact with the penis, scrotum, vagina, vulva, or anus of an infected person. Kissing or touching a partner’s genitals with the mouth can also transmit HPV. Using a condom does not guarantee protection since the virus can be on an area of skin not covered by the condom. Sharing of possibly-contaminated objects may transmit HPV.

Although possible, transmission by routes other than sexual intercourse is less common for female genital HPV infection. Fingers-genital contact is a possible way of transmission but unlikely to be a significant source.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.

Follow-up: Deep kissing, protected oral sex, unprotected oral sex, genitals to hands. Chances of contracting HPV ? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply, doctor. How can we test for oral HPV? I have had a negative PAP and HPV test. Is it as likely to contract the virus orally (kissing, oral sex) as through vaginal intercourse? If I have the virus in my mouth, can I transmit it to future partners through kissing?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The test you have done for HPV is indicative of oral infection also. DNA samples obtained on throat swab can be used to diagnose oral HPV infections specifically.

Kissing also transmits the virus like intercourse. The chances of getting infection from kissing an infected partner are same as having intercourse with him.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Deep kissing, protected oral sex, unprotected oral sex, genitals to hands. Chances of contracting HPV ? 32 hours later
Thank you very much again, doctor. I don't understand one thing, though. How can the results of the test on my cervical smear be indicative of the presence or absence of the virus in myv mouth area. Is it transferred by blood? Or if it enters the body once, is it located in the DNA of cells everywhere?
Is it the same type of genital HPV that is also transmitted by kissing? If I kiss a person with HPV on their genital area, will I automatically have the virus in my mouth? I am very surprised to hear that intercourse and kissing pose the same risk. Is there any protection?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.

Mouth swab can be tested for HPV DNA for oral infections.

Kissing also transmits the virus.

The only way to protect yourself is to get yourself vaccinated against it.

Regards.