Deep cut between thumb and index finger. How long will it take to heal?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I cut my hand between my thumb and index finger on Monday night with a razor. The cut is only about 1/2 inch long, but pretty deep. It bled a lot and It took a while to get it to stop. I have been using butterfly bandages to keep the wound closed, and wraping my hand with gauze. I would like to have some sort of an estimate on how long a cut like this will take to heal, and if theres anything else i should be doing. Im a little tight on money and dont currently have health insurance, so going to the dr and getting stiches isnt really an option.

Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
5-7 days to heal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
This type of cut may take 5-7 days to heal. You are taking the correct actions to allow it to heal. It is in an awkward place that will be difficult to immobilise to allow healing but with gauze and a bandage it will eventually heal. Keep the area clean and dry and inspect daily for signs of infection. This would show as swelling, redness or pus in the cut.
If you follow these suggestions, I don't think you will need to see a doctor.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Deep cut between thumb and index finger. How long will it take to heal? 23 minutes later
Ok, thank you for your advice
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
I wish you well. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction then you may close the query.
Dr K A Pottinger