Decided to go for Pentaxim(DTP,IPV,HiB) + Engerix B (HeP B. Is it necessary to go for optional vaccine?

My Baby completing 6 weeks by this 22nd Aug. I know that IPV, HeP B, HiB, DPT are mandatory so i decided to go with Pentaxim(DTP,IPV,HiB) + Engerix B (HeP B). The thing i am much confused with is necessity of opting for optional vaccine for baby vaccination given on 6,10,14 weeks of birth.

Recently i came to know that PCV vaccine(Prevanar 13) is costing around Rs.4200 and Rota vaccine (Rotarix) is around Rs.1200 in my location(Chennai). Is the really these two vaccine are really costly within these range? I feel these two vaccine are too costly to offer.

Do you think these two optional vaccine are mandatory for my baby. I am convinced myself to have Rota vaccine(Rotarix) for my baby But i am unable to convince myself to go for PCV(Prevnanur 13) which is too costly that to be given in 6,10,14 followed by Booster dose later on.

What is your suggestion to me. What the ration of people opting for this PCV Vaccien and what is the probability of baby getting affected if PCV vaccine is not provided.

Please help in deciding what should i go with.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I understand your concern.

Congratulations on arrival of new member in your family.

-Regarding vaccinations,yes all vaccines should be provided in order to protect

child from various life threatening infections.They are a kind of investment for

protecting our child.I understand cost factor is there.

-Regarding pneumoccoccal vaccine it prevents against infections caused by

streptococcus pneumoniae which causes infections of middle ear,respiratory

tract,sinuses and sometimes meningitis.

There are two types of pneumoccocal vaccines-

-Prevnar:costing (4200) it contains antigens from 13 pneumoccocal serotypes. serotypes
-Synflorix:costing (2000)it contains antigens from 10 serotypes.

Both of them contains 7 most important strains of pneumococcus and give 98% protection.

I suggest you to go for synflorix.

We cannot predict chances of infection in child who is not vaccinated but he is

always vulnerable.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

God bless you and your family!