Dear Doctor, both my sons, aged 5 and 7 years

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Dear Doctor,
both my sons, aged 5 and 7 years old developed some pimples and swelling in their legs and above their feet yesterday morning.
I took them to pharmacy and the pharmacist told me it's probably an allergy or an insect bite. so they prescribed me aerius antihistamine 0.5mg/ml to give them once at night.
I gave them last night and today the older son who is 7 years old developed a blister on the leg.
What do you think this is and what should i do about it ?
I sent you pictures to show you the pimples and the swelling on their feet and last picture is the blister that my elder son developed today.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely an allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have seen the images and to me it appears to be some allergic reaction.
As there is no history of fever and both the child had these lesions on the same day which is of sudden onset, it goes more in favour of allergic reaction and chances of infection are very remote.
Giving oral antiallergic medication like cetrizine or hydroxyzine along with local application of low potency steroid helps in early recovery. These medicines are prescription medicines so please get it prescribed by a physician.
Watch for abnormal symptoms like rapid increase in number or size of lesion, high grade fever, change in color of lesions, any breathing or swallowing difficulty and if you notice any please consult your pediatrician immediately.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, both my sons, aged 5 and 7 years 7 hours later
Hi doctor thanks for the reply.
1.Just to be sure, are you suggesting that the current anti allergic medication aerius antihistamine 0.5mg/ml is in effective and thus go for cretizine.
2.I would appreciate giving me the name and dosage for cretizine as well as corticosteroids dosage and name.
3.Also is it normal to see blisters in an allergic reaction ???
Follow-up: Dear Doctor, both my sons, aged 5 and 7 years 28 minutes later
I forgot to mention, the blister is getting larger now, should I break it ?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue the aerius, mometasone cream can be used

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sorry for delayed reply

Aerius contains desloratidine and is also a good antiallergic. You can continue with same.
In allergic reaction also there can be blister like lesions.
Regarding steroid cream you can use mometasone cream.
Steroid cream is a prescription medicine so please get it prescribed by a physician. I won't suggest you to break the blister as this will increase chances of secondary bacterial infection.
I hope with these measures you will see the improvement, if not please consult a dermatologist for direct evaluation and management accordingly.
Thanks and regards