Dead sperm seen in a post-vasectomy semen sample. Can I have unprotected sex?

Question
Having had a vasectomy 4 months ago and having ejaculated approx 60 to 70 times during that period,the recent test from 2 weeks ago said that DEAD sperm were still present within the recent sample, am I ok to have unprotected sex with my partner after this period of time ? Both myself and my partner are 50 years of age.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later

Thanks for the query. I'm Dr. XXXXXXX Christensen and I am pleased to answer your query.

There's a bit of controversy surrounding this issue. While it's reassuring to see only dead sperm in a post-vasectomy semen sample (PVSS), American Urological Association guidelines advise using alternative means of contraception until a PVSS shows azoospermia (no sperm whatsoever) or "rare non-motile sperm XXXXXXX which they define are as fewer than 100,000 non-motile (dead) sperm per millilitre of semen. Further, the count should be obtained from a fresh, well-mixed, uncentrifuged specimen.

If these criteria haven't been met, it would be advisable to continue using protection until another specimen in three to four weeks shows a downward trend in the count of non-motile sperm.

While fewer than 1% of vasectomies need to be repeated, an unwanted pregnancy is a high price to pay for prematurely assuming yours has been successful. If the specifics of your semen analysis aren't readily available, I'd suggest contacting the lab or your surgeon before you abandon "backup" contraception.

I hope that's helpful. I'll be available to answer further questions.

Best Regards