De Quervain's disease, right wrist, twisting motion, swelling. Long term fermentation will help ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Been diagnosed De Quervain's disease in the right wrist. There was an injury, and twisting motion is a problem for the last 60 days. It pains. Off late there's been swelling.
Age - 78
Weight - 60
No other ailments like arthiritis or any other joint pains, diabetes or hypertension, no other known disease.
Analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs provide temporary relief. The next course of action suggested is local steroid injection.
Have read up on the net that surgery is an option, and also there's some laser treatment.
Need opinion on what should be the further course of action on the following -
1. Does the diagnosis need to be revalidated?
2. If it is indeed Dequervain's disease, then can long term fermentation (say 6 months) help?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 5 hours later

De Quervain's affects the sheath of tendons of the fingers. Its an inflammatory disorder.

It's usually diagnosed clinically. Investigations are rarely necessary for its diagnosis. However, if you need a second opinion, I would suggest MRI of the hand instead. That would confirm the condition.

The conservative modes ( steroid injections and analgesics) work well in the early course of the disease i.e within 4-6 weeks of onset of symptoms.
Surgery is the best option for you now, in my opinion. It has a good success rate. And I don't think its less superior than the laser technique.

The disadvantages of the laser technique are that it wont identify abnormal multiple (aberrant) tendons (present in almost 50 % of the patients) as in open surgery. And its expensive too.

For the time being, you can have analgesics prescribed and try ice fomentation too. Give your hand some compression and rest by applying a crepe bandage spanning the wrist up to mid forearm.

Pardon me, but please emphasize on what do you mean by fermentation.

I hope your queries have been solved. For further queries, please write back. I will follow you up.

Thank you.

Wish you good health.