Day 9 of cycle, follicular study, size of right ovary is 11-13 mm, left is 6-8 mm. Treatment ?

Hello, i just had follicular study and its Day 9 of my cycle. The size of rt ovary is 13mm-11mm and left is 8mm-6mm and ET is 7mm. is this normal and would I be able to conceive?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 49 minutes later

I suppose the size that you have mentioned as 13mm-11mm on the right and left as 8mm-6mm is that of the ovarian follicles instead of the ovary itself.

Assuming this, My suggestions are as follows:

The size of right follicle is fine and the endometrial thickness is also fine.

However we cannot infer from a single report whether the size of follicle will be increasing close to ovulation or not.

Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary.

It usually occurs regularly, around day 14 of a 28-day menstrual cycle

To assess the size of a mature ovarian follicle close to ovulation, we need to do three consecutive ultrasounds for comparing the size of the follicles.

If there is no increase in follicle size on three studies on alternate days from day 11, then there is little chance of follicle maturing.

Follicle study should commence on 7th day of cycle, to assess the base line state of uterus and adnexa.

There after the study should be done on 9th or 11th day or 13th day.

Since your reports are for 9th day, hence consult your gynceologist and get repeat ultrasound for a comparative follicle size on the next two days.

If the follicle does not increase in size, then you may need drugs to stimulate follicle to mature and may be injection to induce ovulation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.