Day 16 of periods, left ovarian follicle 24 mm, PCOD, HCG injection, intercourse, artificial insemination

on 16th day of my periods, my left ovray is 24 mm in size+ 9 mm endometrium. doc has advised hucog 0000 mg. what will happen next and what should i do
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

If i am not wrong you are induced for ovulation since you were diagnosed with PCOD.

The scan you had gone through is called is Follicular scan and the size 24mm is not of the ovary but of the matured ovarian follicle resulted due to induction by medication.

The HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin ) present in hucog injection will cause ovulation within next 24 hours , ie the release of the ovum ( egg ) from the matured ovarian follicle.

Once the Ovum release is confirmed by a scan done 24 hours after the HCG injection you are asked to attempt intercourse or sometimes artificial insemination ( injection of the semen into the uterus ) with your husband's semen is done.

This is a standard procedure employed in infertility due to PCOD or due male infertility.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.