Daughter bit her tongue while sleeping. Family history of seizure. Related to epilepsy?

ENT Specialist
My daughter is 23 years old, 5'3, 135lbs
She bit her tongue 3 days ago during sleeping time.
she bit her tongue about 1cm width.
It never happened before.
My son had seizures started at 15 years old.
After that it was under control with medicines.
He passed away due to missing dosages .
Do you think it relates to epilepsy?
Any suggestions? Which specilist should we see to get examine?
Is there any ways to find out why it happened?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Epilepsy also known as seizures happen when the brain functions abnormally, causing change in movements and level of awareness. There are various types of seizures may occur in different parts of the brain which may be localized (affect only a part of the body) or widespread (affect the whole body).

Children with relatives, especially brothers and sisters, are more likely to develop seizures. The tongue bite of this intensity could be due to the seizures itself.

Q: He passed away due to missing dosages. Do you think it relates to epilepsy?

A: Yes, it is related to epilepsy, there could be a possibility that he would have aspirated the vomitus when he was having seizures. During generalized seizures there is weakening of the sphincters, because of which the individual will have incontinence of urine and stools as well as stomach contents.

Q: Any suggestions? Which specilist should we see to get examine?

A: Initially you will have to consult your family doctor for suturing of the tongue laceration and later you will have to consult a neurologist for this problem.

Q: Is there any ways to find out why it happened?

A: You can get EEG, CT Scan or MRI of the brain done according to the suggestion of your doctor.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.