Ask a Urologist   »  

Dark yellow urine, recovering from gallbladder attack

my urine has turned dark yellow and leaves dark spots on toilet bowl. what is that?
Just got out of hospital for gallbladder attack.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 28 minutes later

Bile is the secretion of the liver and is produced continuously by liver cells. It contains cholesterol and waste products, such as bilirubin and bile salts, which aid in the digestion of fats.

Obstructive Jaundice. Obstructive Jaundice causes inability of Liver to excrete bile in intestines. The bile pigments are excreted in stool giving the stool a yellow colour.

When because of any disorder this normal excretion of bile does not take place, there is accumulation of bile pigments in body which give yellow tinge to skin and cornea in eye. This bile pigments are excreted in urine and give a dark yellow colour to urine.

In your case, the gall bladder attack (cholecystitis) has led to increased urine bile pigments which is causing dark spots on toilet bowl.

The bile pigments will decrease in a few days and there will be no such spots.

It has been a pleasure providing you with an answer which I hope has been adequate and informative. I am available if you have any follow-ups.