Dark yellow colored urine, fatty liver. Elevated liver enzymes. Should I be concerned?

Hi,I am suffering of fatty liver for last 8 months,my urine is dark yellow coloured,billirubin is=.89,alt & ast =55,hepatitis A, B ,C are negatives in blood test,could it be danger.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later

Fatty liver is can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation.

It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily.

In addition to abstinence from alcohol,losing weight gradually and safely(losing no more than one or two pounds a week), lowering triglycerides through diet or medications,diabetes control and eating healthy diet will help. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver. I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.