Dark stools, growing sore on bottom lip, loss of appetite, nausea. Any suggestions?

I have dark stools, almost chocolate brown, I have a strange sore on my bottom lip that seems to be growing, I have lost my appetite, I feel nauseous. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Stools coloured dark brown or black may result from presence of bile, blood, specific food like licorice or ingestion of lead, iron, bismuth. If you ruled out ingestion factors then one of cause of your symptoms and signs ( nausea, loss appetite, dark brown stool – presence of bile ) may be due to liver disorders and possible have correlation with your past history as you stated you had hepatitis B, C. Make an self assessment of your urine , skin and eye sclera- yellow colour indicate jaundice and liver origin. Another cause can be gastrointestinal bleeding ( dark black colour of stool due to presence of blood ) usually upper level ( duodenum, stomach, esophagus, sometime ileum ). For clarification you need laboratory analysis : stool analysis, liver function tests, complete blood count, coagulation profile, abdominal ultrasonography. All these test will help you understand and find cause and accordingly will be more easy choose treatment.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,