Dark spots on toe tips, melanocytic nevus, no need for treatment, unless change in size

Hello, My concern is in regards to my six year old son. He has on the very tips of both of his toes a very definitive dark spot, it is somewhat smaller than the end of a pencil eraser and is not pealing and does not hurt him when I touch it. It appears to be under the layer of skin. Can anybody suggest a cause for this?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 14 hours later

May I ask which country are you from and what is your son's skin color.

Going by your description I feel that he may be having a melanocytic nevus (either of the congenital or the junctional type). These are very common across all races and do not warrant treatment.

I do not think there is anything to worry about unless there is a rapid growth in size or change in color of the lesion (in which case you must see a dermatologist personally).

You may also consider sending his pics to YYYY@YYYY . Subject: Attn Dr. Gaurang.

Do not forget to reply here after sending the pictures as I can answer only over this forum.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.