Ask a Dentist   »  

Dark spots on roof of mouth, no pain or sorenss. Worried about oral cancer

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
I have a dark spot on the roof of my mouth... My dentist spotted it. It is not a leasion or a bump and doesn't hurt and isn't a sore of any kind? He wants an oral surgeon to look at it but didn't seem to concerned? Just wants it checked .
Should I be worried I have oral cancer??
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thank you for the query. The dark spot may be just a normal variant, which you need not worry unless it is symptomatic. Keep the area under observation, any change in size, shape or symptoms then consult the dentist. You need not worry about oral cancer. If possible post a photo of the area, for further discussion.
If necessary I am available for further clarifications.

With happy regards,

Follow-up: Dark spots on roof of mouth, no pain or sorenss. Worried about oral cancer 12 hours later
Not sure how to post or send you a photo? My dentist set up an appointment with an oral surgeon but that is a month away. Now I 'm really nervous to wait that long ... Everything I read on line said a dark spot on the roof of the mouth is usually cancer. You were the only one so far that has mentioned that not all spots are cancerous and that there "might" be a chance it is something else.

Dear XXXXXX,
Thank you for the clarification. You can ask somebody in the family to take the photo of the lesion by any digital camera, set the settings to Macro mode then take the photo with the flash on. There are such color changes which are benign. Just relax. Keep the area question under observation.
I am available for further discussion; Wish you healthy and happy life.

With Happy regards,

Follow-up: Dark spots on roof of mouth, no pain or sorenss. Worried about oral cancer 34 minutes later
Thank you very much....I will watch it and have my dentist watch it as well.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 8 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Nice to hear kind words.

With happy regards