Dark spots, glycolic peels, becker's nevus, laser treatment, hydroquinone cream

I have dark spots on my lower back region. I have heard of glycolic peels and i checked the price for a session at VLCC, but it seems very expensive. Can you suggest something I can use at home?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Firstly you need to determine the cause of these spots on lower back.A few possibilities are: post pimple marks(also called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Secondly it could be a birth XXXXXXX .Thirdly it could be following folliculitis (following small boils).If it is birth XXXXXXX it wont respond to any creams or chemical peel.You may have to go for laser then.But in case of marks following pimples or folliculitis , then a chemical peel (esp glycolic acid peel or salicylic acid peel) would help along with certain night time creams.kindly let me know if any diagnosis was told to you on your consultation with the dermatologist.If yes then i can suggest you a good treatment .
Meanwhile you can use tretinoin cream (0.05%) at night only on the spot.This is a good peeling agent and help in case of post pimple marks and marks following folliculitis.
Unfortunately no home remedy would help you in this...but still if you want you can try out lemon juice over the marks .
If you can tell the exact nature of these marks and how you developed them ,then I can help you further.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Bharat Chawda
Follow-up: Dark spots, glycolic peels, becker's nevus, laser treatment, hydroquinone cream 46 hours later

Thanks for your reply. These are not birth marks. The skin over my lower back [from the spine-ending region to the upper knee area] is dark brownish in color and has a very rough texture. This has been there for a long time and there has been no direct sun-exposure though I go out in sun a lot. I went for an analysis at VLCC and they recommended glycolic peel, but the price is very high. Can you prescribe me any cream or solution I can use at home? My skin type is normal to oily and as yet I am not allergic to any products. I do not have any skin problem except a high sensitivity to sun, so i usually use a sun-screen.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 18 hours later

Since i've not seen the lesion I am not very sure. I've a feeling if its a Becker's nevus according to the description, since the texture is always rough in that and it occurs at the age of say 12 to 14.Beckers nevus also has a brownish color.It can also have fine hair growth over the lesion.You should consult a dermatologist XXXXXXX rather than a beauty parlor.A skin biopsy can also help in diagnosis.

I do chemical peel(glycolic acid) 3-4 cases every day.These peels do not work good on body parts .It works best on face neck and upper back.

Now a days we have specific lasers in the market. If it is s becker nevus then only a laser can reduce it .One requires multiple sessions for the same. I would suggest you to XXXXXXX a good dermatologist. You can even go to the govt medical college in chennai for consultation.

If you want you can start of with using hydroquinone cream 4% locally at night. This cream does not work for becker nevus ,but can work for other kinds of pigmentation.

“ Wish you Good Health”

Follow-up: Dark spots, glycolic peels, becker's nevus, laser treatment, hydroquinone cream 2 hours later
Thanks once again Dr. XXXXXXX
Can you please recommend me any good dermatologists in Chennai?
My friend asked me to check Dermatologists in Fortis Malar hospital.

You can contact Dr. XXXXXXX in National Skin & hair care center, Alwarpet. Contact number is (044)0000. She is available in the morning. Dr XXXXXXX is also there in the evening. Both are dermatologists and they have lasers also for pigmentation.I was earlier working in bangalore with the same center(12 yrs back).

“ Wish you Good Health”