Dark spots and discoloration on nose, glasses irritate the area. Why is sit spreading downwards under eyes?

Hi, I am an African American female age 69. For about two years I have noticed dark spot/discoloration on the bridge of my nose on both sides near corner of my eyes. I do wear eyeglasses sometimes as needed, but they irritate the area even more than usual. The spots are very dry and sometimes itchy. I do have allergies to some plants such as Loblolly pine trees, molds, mildew, a few chemicals and a couple of furry animals according to some allergy test I took 15 yrs. ago, and lately the discoloration is spreading downward under eyes. What could be causing this problem and what do your recommend to help
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

Dark discoloration under the eyes and near the nose could be due to excess pigmentation in the skin or allergy to the metallic frame of spectacles or others causing contact or atopic dermatitis. Stress, lack of proper sleep, ageing, reduced hydration and long hours of work on the computer are other causes.

A direct examination by a dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and the probable reasons too.

Topical creams that contain alphahydroxy acids (which can thicken the skin), vitamins C and K (which can inflame skin) do help a lot.
For resistant cases, laser surgery that resurfaces skin and destroys pigment cells is the treatment of choice.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Dark spots and discoloration on nose, glasses irritate the area. Why is sit spreading downwards under eyes? 6 hours later

Dr. Tayal, your answer was right on target. During the holidays I went on vacation and totally neglected my skin regument, which enhanced the problem recently. Thank you for the advice.

I did not quite understand about the vitamin C and K. How does inflaming the skin help?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
One of the reasons of having skin darkness is thin skin. By inflaming the skin, the thickness of skin increases and blood supply to the area becomes better making the normal redness of the skin to return.
Hope my answer is helpful.