Dark reddish spot appeared on back of neck. How to remove this?

Question
Dear doc,
I have seen a string of dark reddish spots on the back of my neck, on the vertibral column. Im worried, kindly let me know what this is.

XXXXXXX.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hi.

Thank you for writing to us.

Could you answer a few additional questions like: Are these itchy? Any history of allergic reactions? Was this area exposed to any chemicals (new)? How is the temperature where you live? Sweating a lot lately? Anything new in your diet? Is this rash raised or at skin level?

From the presentation and the history provided, this could be:
-Atopic dermatitis
-Fungal infection
-Urticaria

All these conditions will require to be examined by a doctor (dermatologist) and diagnosed and treated accordingly. I would advise you to visit a dermatologist at the earliest. A closer examination and testing best diagnoses a condition. You should be fine soon.

Do write back to me for any further clarifications. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Dark reddish spot appeared on back of neck. How to remove this? 31 hours later
Dear doc,
Thanks for your reply,
1.No..theres no itching or pain in the area.
2.No..no hostory of allergic reactions.
3.No..area was not exposed to any chemicals.

Doctor, i think its a orthopedic issue rather than anything related to skin.,as the bruises are exactly on the bone projections in the vertibral column
Kindly revert with your suggestion

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Hi once again.

As you were concerned about an orthopaedic problem, I gave it some thought and also read up, and found that this is only possible in case of some kind of injury/trauma to the region.

But in my opinion, the most likely condition could be a dermatological one (as mentioned in my previous response). It would be best to get yourself examined by a doctor and also conduct a laboratory examination of a tissue sample from the region.

Although you are sure about not suffering an injury, it would be best for this to be ruled out by a doctor. I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Dark reddish spot appeared on back of neck. How to remove this? 14 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor,
I might aswell go a dermatologist and get the area xrayed.
Regards.
XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 minute later
You are most welcome XXXXXXX

A skin biopsy of the area for the dermatologist and an x-ray for the orthopaedician.

Wishing you a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

Best wishes.