Dark red purple patches on forearms. Taking coversyl and tonact. Is it leakage of blood under skin?

Dear Doctor,
I have a problem of dark red purple patches on my forearms as if it is leakage of blood under my skin.The problem is more than a year old.Previously these patches used to spread in size, fade out & disappear in 4/5 days.But now it takes 8/10 days in this process.Also the intensity is increasing.I am mail of 67 years.I have been taking blood anti-coogulant (Clavix 75) alongwith Coversyl 4mg & tonact 20/10 tablets since 2007 sa advised by Cardiologist.When the patches started appearing, I stopped taking Clavix 75.I got some relief in the begining but now the condition is worsening.May I know Sir,what it is? & how it can be cured? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Kalsi
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

It appears that these are blood clots forming spontaneously under your skin. Clavix 75 is an anti-platelet drug and as platelets are the cells responsible for clotting, this can happen with clavix. However, as in your case, it improves after stopping. Sometimes with old age, the vessels may become more fragile and as a result can lead to such bleeding spots.

However, as the problem is increasing, we should get few blood tests like complete blood count (CBC), Prothrombin time and activate partial thromboplastin time. If these are normal then no further testing is required.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Dark red purple patches on forearms. Taking coversyl and tonact. Is it leakage of blood under skin? 3 days later
Dear Dr.
Thank you very much for your reply.I have got all the blood-tests done.I think it is not feasible to send you scanned copy of the reports,I am sending you the Important parameters.(Hb. 12.8, TLC. 6900, TRBC. 4.35, Haematocrit PVC.37.4%, Prothrombin time-test. 14.0 Sec.,Prothrombine Time-Control. 13.0 Sec.,PTTK/APTT-Test 26.0 Sec., PTTK/APTT-Control.22-32 Sec.Platelet Count.224 Thousand/cmm.) All other parameters are well within normal range.
I shall be grateful further advice/guidance in the matter.
Thanking you once again. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Kalsi
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
All these results are normal. I don't think anything else is required.
Probably these are drug-induced +/- age related. No specific treatment is needed.

Best wishes.