Dark red area on knuckles, not swollen or painful. No injury. What is it?

Just looked at my hand and it has a dark red area on the outside two knucles. Much like a bruise but not purple. Not swollen or painful. Just wierd. I have not bumped or injured it in any way. Does not hurt. Washed hand to be sure it is not washable color.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later

It indeed looks like a bruise from the description.

Can you load a photo of it here using the site's uploader? It will make it simple.
Or may I ask you to answer a few questions?

- Are you on any medications like aspirin?
- At the age of 61, a fragile skin can have subcutaneous spontaneous bleed. Do you think the skin is fragile in general?
- Are there any small bluish running veins running through the skin?
- Are there any other such areas? Please look carefully at the entire body.
- Is the area numb? Spreading or static?
- I can think of spontaneous skin bleed or rarely a tiny bite?
- Are you sure it is not any colour?

Based on the details provided it is not worrisome yet. Keep a close watch. If changing characteristics, please revert with more information.

I await you response/follow up queries to comment on this further.

I would also request you to rate this answer and write a review before you close this query, if you have no follow up questions, or after they are answered.

Good luck!