Dark pink discoloration on the middle finger with a hard lump. Is it infection ?

Well thanks! My middle finger on left hand has a dark pink discoloration between the body of the hand and the first joint (on the top of the hand- not the palm side), which looks dark pink and has a light colored lump within it. The lump feels somewhat hard, smooth and moves when I push on it. I don't remember hitting it on anything, but I do have two new kittens and may have been scratched (but I don't see any puncture wound). It has been there about 3-4 days, and now the bruise is lightening a bit but spreading towards the wrist - 1/2 inch or so. It's not a dark "line" but my boyfriend thinks it could be an infection. What is your advice?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
If the lump that you have described is painful, red, tender to touch associated with fever then most likely it is a joint infection or an infected hematoma.
If there is no associated history of injury then it can be tendonitis or a spontaneous hematoma. In both the cases you need broad spectrum antibiotics orally to overcome the infection.
I encourage you to visit your orthopedician, get an X-ray done to rule out any joint injury and get the proper treatment prescribed.
Till then give rest to your finger by strapping it with your ring finger, do a hot fomentation and take tylenol to relieve pain and inflammation.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.