Dark patch on the middle shaft of penis. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor , I have noticed a dark (blackish ) patch( about .3 -.4 cm) on the middle shaft of my penis. It sometimes is a lil itchy and on examining closely I see a thin layer of dry skin, bit of which is coming off..should I be worried and show it to a dermatologist. Along wit it offlate at times I have had itching sensation in my inner foreskin where it meets the head (I am uncircumcised ) ? Fot reference - I had protected sex wit a girl about 6 weeks ago.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry it is normal process

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to health care magic.

After reading your query and thoroughly and analyzing the pictures with diligence I can make out that it is simple fungal infection on the genital area.

It is mild infection that is why it is not very florid so giving a simple flaky and dry skin appearance. It can be simply treated by anti-fungal creams such as candid B or onabet B in very thin layer over the affected area.

It is not related to any sexually transmitted infection so do not worry about any thing regarding STDs.

Regarding the itching sensation over inner foreskin- it is due to the secretion of penile skin in all uncircumcised males. So wash your penile area after fully retracting the foreskin for two times.

Lastly there is no correlation of any of these things with your sexual intercourse, so do not think in any wrong directions.

Hope your doubts are clear now. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology

Follow-up: Dark patch on the middle shaft of penis. Should I be worried? 9 hours later
Thanks Dr. Sanjay! It is a relief to know that but just to make sure its a fungal infection and I start treating it with an anti-fungal cream, I want to add that I noticed this three weeks ago n it has been like that since. I haven't treated it as yet as it doesn't itch all the time but only when it gets dry. Is having a fungal spot for three weeks or over normal. Thanks for answering

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fugal spot scan remain for months too!!

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your further query.

It is totally normal to find fungal infection not only for few weeks but also for mutiple months too. In your case the spot remained stable and not increased in size, so it shows good immunity in yourself.

You should not be worried about the possibility of any type of sexually transmitted disease. This is on account of the most important point that the intercourse was protected one. In any of protected intercourse there is almost no possibility of transmission of any type of infection including everything like herpes or HIV also.

There is one more good fact that this type of manifestation of dry flaky spot is not present in any type of sexually transmitted infection. So you do not think of even rarest possibility of any STDs.

You can very well apply the cream for a period of 14 days. Apply it in a very thin layer for two times a day for initial 7 days and then reduce to single time application. DO not extend it beyond 14 days of period.

Hope your doubts are clear now. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not have any then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology

Follow-up: Dark patch on the middle shaft of penis. Should I be worried? 14 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX , per your advice I have started treating it with antifungal cream. To make sure that you have a clear picture, I have added a new attachment. Just to be sure that the diagnosis is accurate and is no reason to worry about. Thank you for your detailed response.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the detailed mail.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young man,

Welcome to the forum again.

I have again gone through the recent good resolution picture sent by you. I am more than hundred percent sure that it is not at all any type of sexually transmitted infection and there fore there is no reason to worry.

Secondly this is simple mildest of all the fungal infection with more pronounced dryness. So the cream application will definitely be very effective.

Thirdly I can see your thumb nail and its root which is showing bit of vitamin deficiency. I think you are not taking best of your vitamin, minerals and proteins as evident by the bit flaking change in the nail root. So I suggest you to additionally take fruits, sprouts and green leafy vegetables or can also take a multivitamin supplement like supradyn or zevit.

I think you will not mind for the additional information provided by me. I hope all these informations will clear your doubts. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not have any then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology