Dark mark around back of neck, not removed on scrubbing. Suggestion for removal?

I have a dark XXXXXXX around the back of my neck and it looks like dirt but I scrub and scrub and it doesn't help...
any suggestions would be appreciated
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi ,

Thanks for writing in.

The dark XXXXXXX you are describing can be seborrheic keratosis, pityriasis versicolor,nevus etc.

Also I would like to know
a) Since when you have this mark?
b)Does it itch?Is it painful/symptomatic?
c)Is it increasing in size or static?
d)Is it elevated /flat ?has scales or normal skin over it?

Please answer the following question and I would be able to help you better.

If you can upload photographs of the neck XXXXXXX (close up/ distant) can be further helpful in predicting the condition.You can upload photographs by using the feature on right side of this page.

Anticipating your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Dark mark around back of neck, not removed on scrubbing. Suggestion for removal? 27 minutes later
Its a dark line, like the XXXXXXX a cheap chain leaves
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later
Hi again ,

The dark XXXXXXX resembling chain can be acanthosis nigricans .However it can be other things also.Without photographs of the lesion it is difficult to predict the condition.

It is a non specific marker of any XXXXXXX disease.It is also associated with obesity ,diabetes mellitus,insulin resistance ,endocrine abnormalities.It can be present as familial trait.

You should undergo a basic workup. Random blood sugar , Fasting and postmeal sugar levels, fasting insulin level is advisable.

There is nothing to be worried about as it can be a incidental finding also.
Please consult your physician for these tests.

Hope Ive answered your queries.
If you have any further queries please let me know.

Dr Sudarshan.