Dark, itchy and flaky skin after blunt force injury. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

After a blunt force injury to my XXXXXXX several months ago, a large patch of dark, itchy, flaky skin formed over the injury site. It still has not gone away and has not gotten any lighter in color. What is it and how can I get rid of it?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 55 minutes later

The patch may be a keloid or hypertrophic scar. Patch extending beyond the site of trauma scar and presence of itching differentiates keloid from a hypertrophic scar. Careful examination of the affected area by a dermatologist is essential to confirm this possibility.

Presuming the condition is a keloid, there are many treatment options available like intra-lesional steroidal injection, laser surgery, acid-ablation, and cryosurgery.

I understand you are concerned with the appearance of these skin changes over the area of trauma, but do not worry. A solution is definitely available through a competent dermatologist. So I suggest you to consult a dermatologist whenever feasible.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further queries you may write back to me freely. Kindly write a review on this answer.

Dr Arnab Maji
Follow-up: Dark, itchy and flaky skin after blunt force injury. What is it and how can I get rid of it? 10 hours later
After viewing some photos online of keloids and/or hypertrophic scars, I am fairly certain the patch is neither of these. I should have mentioned that when I fell and hit my XXXXXXX I did not break the skin. It was just a very hard blow to my XXXXXXX bone. It took a couple of weeks before a bruise even became visible on the surface. As the bruise faded, this brown patch of itchy, flaky skin took its place. The area is not raised at all, but the skin seems to be thickened at the site. I do apologize for disputing your answer. I feel I may not have presented enough information with my original query.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If your dark pigmented area is not raised from the surface it is neither keloid nor hypertrophic scar for sure. In such case, the next possibility that I can think of is a pigmented scar. The pigmentation may either due to stained hemoglobin or hemosiderine which are yet to be absorbed or an area of increased melanocytes.

These are less worrisome than keloid / hypertrophied scar. Often such spots gradually fade away with time. Those that persist for years are treated with tretinoic acid, 1% hydroquinone creams, chemical peeling, dermabrasion or laser surgeries.

So I would suggest you to wait and observe for few more months. If the wait is not proving effective, visit a nearest dermatologist. He/she will put you on one of the aforementioned treatment which is sure to help you.

I hope you are satisfied with this response. If not, please post me your follow up and I shall address it.
Please close this discussion in case you are satisfied with this answer.

Dr Arnab Maji