Dark forehead compared to rest of body. Is there any procedure to get rid of it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have dark color on my forehead compared to my skin tone. Although am a dark complexion person but on color on my forehead is lot dark.Also its not covered on whole forehead but its present on middle of the forehead. Any procedure or cure to get rid to it as soon as possible.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A dark color of the skin localized to the middle of the forehead is suggestive of melasma which happens due to overactivity of the melanin producing cells in the area. Exposure to sunlight is the most important factor in increasing the problem.
Using a sunscreen lotion before going out in sun as prescribed to you will help in preventing further aggravation of the problem but is not likely to decrease the pigmentation already present.
To treat these dark patches, apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun. Use a mild cleanser and if the skin is dry, a light moisturizer. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy XXXXXXX vegetables and take a daily vitamin supplement. You should also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kojic acid on the dark patches.

However if the symptoms are severe and for early improvement topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.