Ask a Dentist   »  

Dark dots on teeth, poor dental hygiene, wants to use fluoride. Caries or pigmentation ?

Hello, my son is 7,5 years old, and I found small dark dots on tis 5th, and 6th teeth.Is it beginnig of caries, or just pigmentation? Using fluoride will help in this case?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 32 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding tooth pigmentation this could be an indication of tooth caries as you have indicated. The only good way to address this is with excellent dental hygiene which includes brushing teeth two to three times per day, eliminating intake of any carbonated beverages as these can have erosive effects on teeth and also limiting the intake of any sweetened drinks. This can sometimes reverse the damage caused by tooth decay.

Fluoride is not always indicated for this but a good fluoridated toothpaste would be advisable to use for preventive measures.

I absolutely recommend you make an appointment to have him see his dentist as soon as possible for a good focused exam as well ad possibly some x-rays to rule out any extensive damage to the teeth.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.