Dark colored urine after exercise. Ultrasound showing cysts in renal pelvis. Normal kidney function. Due to kidney stones?

I have a history of dark colored urine the morning after exercise. I had an ultrsound and two cat scans two years apart which found cysts and an 8mm srone in one of my renal pelvis. Ialso had a cystascope which was normal a year after that, I recently went back to a exercisre program and twice after a day of exercise the next moring I has dark colored urine which cleared up within an hour. If I dont exercise I have no problem, My last physical was six month ago and my urinalysisx and kidney function was all normal. Can I assumes that i t was the stone in the kidney or exercise hematura as was persumed last time it occurred.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

I think the most important point here is that we should not assume anything. There are several possible causes of the sentence what you're experiencing which certainly includes the kidney stone what you mentioned. Also sometimes if there is a mild degree of inflammation of the prostate gland it can cause episodic changes in the urine and some discoloration or blood in the urine.

It sounds like you have had quite a federal work up performed so far. I still think that a periodic examination and follow up with a urologist with possible interval imaging studies including a CAT scan which can be done on a yearly basis is a reasonable approach. In addition it would be important to also check your blood count to make sure there is no disturbance or development of anemia. I doubt there is anything worrisome going on I just want to make sure you have a thorough workup in the event that there is something that has not really declared itself just yet.

It may just be that the system in your kidney may be contributing to this as well. It is difficult to really determine the exact cause in light of your history.

I want to encourage you to continue to maintain a very active lifestyle with exercise as you have been doing currently. Congratulations on maintaining excellent health. I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you here.

Dr. Robert